Monday, January 02, 2006

Sourdough

In all these years, I have never messed with sourdough. It seemed too much like getting a puppy. How will I go on vacation? Who will feed it? What if it pees on the rug?

Everything changed today. The ever-resourceful neighbors (my source of fresh eggs) brought over some starter. It only needs to be messed with once a week, which doesn't seem unreasonable. I fed it this morning and then baked a loaf for dinner, which turned out like real sourdough bread! I used about half wheat and half white flour. The instructions I was following were very unclear as to how much flour, and next time I will put in much more, until it feels right to me. This time my dough was way too slack and I ended up baking a large round flat foccaccia, ungainly but tasty.

I'm looking forward to trying again, and if it doesn't work out, I can always take my starter to the pound.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails