For several years I have had a rusty can of "Fume-Free" oven cleaner sitting on a high shelf, and I would pull it down every six months or so when the stovetop finally got too nasty to stand. I would spray it on, trying not to breathe in the nasty fresh lemon-scented poison gas fumes, leave it for a few hours, then wipe off *some* of the gunk from around the burners. I just did that for the last time! Because when I finished, and still couldn't get off the most stubborn cooked-on junk, as a last resort I sprinkled some baking soda on the stains and wiped with a damp cloth. Yes, you guessed it, everything came off with a gentle swipe. No toxins. No waiting. No explosive can. From now on, it's baking soda every time.