Monday, January 29, 2007

Schoolhouse Chicken Soup

Everyone should have a reliable chicken soup they can turn to when kids get sick, the neighbors need food, or it snows. This easy soup is an excellent one to fall back on because the ingredients can be kept on hand for making anytime--while not literally "pantry" staples, all the ingredients are easily stored for longer-term keeping. After all, it's easy to make a great dinner when the fridge is full of fresh meat, delicious cheese, and favorite crispy vegetables--the challenge is making something pleasing when it's been eight or nine days since your last trip to the store.

*Schoolhouse Chicken Soup*

In a large skillet, heat:
3 T. olive oil

Add:

8-10 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 onion, diced
lots of celery, thinly sliced (up to an entire head)
as much garlic as you can stand to mince, at least 4 cloves

Saute til sweaty and onion is transparent.

Transfer to a big stockpot.

Add:

2 boxes chicken stock (the large size)
6-8 frozen boneless chicken breasts
1 T. salt


Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. When chicken is cooked through, turn off the flame and let cool slightly. Fish the chicken pieces out and shred or slice them. Taste the broth and maybe dress it up with the juice of half a lemon and a slug of tamari sauce.

Bring the broth back to a boil, and dump in a large bag of egg noodles. When cooked, add the chicken back, and serve with lots of pepper. I made this yesterday and fed fifteen people! This recipe works for *you*.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I see you know a little about "jewish penecillin". :-)

Your recipe sounds wonderful. I put lots of garlic in mine too. It really boosts it up!!! Sometimes, instead of noodles, I mix up flour, water and egg yoke and pinch off bits and toss into the pot. I guess it is the same idea as noodles only in little lumps.

This type of soup is also good for a pregnant mama too. If she has morning sickness, the broth from the soup usually helps balance out her blood sugar and helps her feel less nauseous.

Excellent post. It is great to know about being frugal when you cook, but even better when you can show someone the practical, everyday side of the knowledge.

TTFN!! C.

MamaBirdEmma said...

Perfect, Anna! I've been looking for a chicken soup recipe!

Borden Tribe said...

I will definitely be cooking this up tonight as cold weather is rolling in and a little bug has hit my girls too. Thank you so much for sharing.

Karen said...

Hi Anna,
I have been reading, or "lurking", here for a while now. This is my first EVER comment! I just jumped into this world of blogging this week-end, and I have a LOT to learn.
I love your style of writing, and the peaceful, slower pace of your site.
Chicken soup has always been one of our favorites, too. I will try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!

Joyful House Farms said...

Anna, this sounds delicious and it's not even 9:30 yet! I'm heading out to my fridge.....
Cara :)

Jennifer in MS said...

Thanks for the recipe Anna! And thanks to c.a.worcester's comment about this soup helping for morning sickness. I have a friend who is suffering with this now and this just gave me an idea......

Have a great day!

Heather said...

Hi Anna,

Thanks for this recipe. I've been wanting a good chicken soup recipe. I linked your recipe to my banana bread recipe on my NEW blog. (I don't know how to make the link a part of the post, but hopefully I'll learn.) Anyway, thanks for the recipe; I'm trying it tomorrow.

Rachel said...

Hello, my online recipe book! I am making this AGAIN as we are battling colds (but I will use any excuse to make this soup -- it's delish!).

Thank you for posting such a great recipe (even if it takes me years to tell you!).

Kristina said...

Anna- I just searched your blog because I vaguely remembered you posting a soup recipe made with frozen breasts of chicken, which is just what I have on hand. Four of our six children have colds with temps. This soup is ideal. So grateful that you posted it! Blessings to you and yours.

Related Posts with Thumbnails