Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Hostess Gift

Clara has been spending the week out of town at a chamber music festival, working on a Mozart quartet with three other musicians. She is staying nights at the home of one of her best friends, also a tall, long-haired cellist who homeschools. I wanted to do a nice gift for her hostess, and decided to sew the "Pleated Beauty" bag from Bend-the-Rules Sewing.


I think this is the most complicated "crafty" thing I've ever made. But you can see why anyone would want to sew it! The contrasting pleats! The contrast lining in the straps!


I stuck fairly closely to Amy Karol's instructions, even using the suggested embroidery pattern incorporating vintage buttons. I chose a very heavy linen (oh, yes, the only linen I had in my stash) for the main fabric. It has a wonderful gloss and body, but tended to jump around quite a bit on the cutting board and under the sewing machine needle.


Pockets inside, of course, in contrast fabric.


Then I made a matching wallet, also from the book.

16 comments:

Laura Leigh Dobson said...

wow! beautiful!

Mrs. Hurzeler said...

That is so beautiful. What a blessed talent you have been given.

Mrs. MK said...

Can Clara come stay at my house, too?


Lovely work!

Gena said...

That is a gorgeous bag. I'm sure Clara's hostess will feel very blessed to receive such a gift.

Anonymous said...

Anna, that bag is beautiful! Such an amount of work...I admire your tenacity in trying the difficult things.

Anonymous said...

The bag is beautiful!

Rebecca said...

How lovely! Wonderful choice of fabrics, too. That book is very high on my wish list...

Thank you, Anna, for this inspiring blog. It's my daily treat, accompanied by a cup of tea.

Margaret in VA said...

That IS lovely! I made a bag yesterday as well! I was experimenting with pockets that would make a tote into a nice diaper bag.
I think my prototype will be a Christmas gift for my book reading, water toting Mom!
Now on to the diaper bag.
Thanks for the lovely inspiration.

Julian said...

beautiful Anna,
You are such a great seamstress, and Im sure shell love it!
Christina

Knit-Wit said...

What a nice gift. You are very sweet.

Heather said...

What an adorable bag!

Lanaya said...

I just discovered your blog and I love it! The pictures on the white background are fanctastic. I can't wait to read more.

Elisabeth Black said...

Awesome bag. Is that a charm bracelet you're wearing?

Kimmie said...

Okay that is it...I am adopting you...you are way too talented ...I need you at my house ;-) big grin...
beautiful bag and accesories!

love
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anna said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments, ladies!

Bethgem, that is in fact a charm bracelet.

Anonymous said...

Love your bag and matching wallet! Bending-the-Rules has such wonderful patterns hey?! I made that same wallet myself yesterday! ^_^ Thanks for sharing!

Lana
http://simplyhandmade.blogdrive.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails