Thursday, July 19, 2007

Roasted Sausage and Vegetable Pasta

This summer I'm finding myself making the same things over and over--because man, they are so good. This pasta has become one of our staples. The sausage and vegetables can be prepared while you're in the kitchen fixing the lunchtime sandwiches, then put in the fridge while you go to the lake. Pull the dish out and add cooked pasta, fix salad and bread, and dinner's ready. Oh, and despite tasting very, very Italian, it's dairy-free!

*Roasted Sausage and Vegetable Pasta*

On a pan with a raised rack (I use the broiler pan from my oven) arrange:

1 or 2 packages of mild Italian sausages

In a large bowl toss:

1 red pepper thinly sliced
1 onion thinly sliced
1 box mushrooms, cleaned and halved if large
1 bundle asparagus, trimmed
2-3 zucchini or yellow squash, chunked
3-4 carrots, cut in sticks
any other vegetables that sound good and are waiting in your fridge, you get the picture!

with

1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup Italian seasoning herbs
1 T. coarse salt

Pam one or two large pans and spread your veggies out in them, not more than an inch or so deep.

Pop the veggies and the sausages in the oven at 450. You heard me! Leave them there for half an hour. The sausages will become a dark candied brown. The veggies will roast just right.

Toss with

1 lb. cooked pasta (I use rigatoni), including 1/3 cup cooking water.
Additional salt and pepper.


Serve with grated Parmesan cheese. Makes a huge quantity; we have actual leftovers. Great for feeding a crowd.

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

This sounds absolutely wonderful! I've got company coming next week and I'll be feeding a crowd(12 people to feed for four days). It looks like this meal is going on the menu. Any other BIG meals that you have up your sleeve would be greatly appreciated! I must say that your blog has been such an inspiration to me. Thanks so much for sharing.

Davene said...

This does sound good! I'm going to copy it now and try it very soon. Thanks!

PaperCrank said...

Sounds very tasty! I will be making this for my family next week. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Do you reheat the veggies in oven with cooked pasta after they've been in fridge all day? And are you using fresh herbs--basil, oregano, and ??

Anna said...

To reheat: as soon as pasta is done cooking, reserve some of the pasta cooking water, and return the pasta to the cooking pot. Add the water, the cold vegetables and the sausages WHICH I FORGOT TO SAY I SLICE INTO THIN ROUNDS, and toss and stir and toss and stir over a medium flame until sufficiently hot.

Anna said...

Oh, the herbs--I just use the dried mix of herbs sold as Italian seasoning--contains thyme, oregano, basil, and marjoram, I believe. Although fresh would be wonderful.

Joy said...

oh this sounds wonderful...I can see why it goes fast!

Family W said...

I can't wait to try this! ---Lynn

julie said...

hello, first time commenting here. i made this dish last evening for my family and it was declared a "keeper"! it was delicious. thank you for sharing! God bless, julie harris

Related Posts with Thumbnails