This is the library basket. It has been making the weekly trip to the library for over twelve years now. I believe it had a former life as a grocery shopping basket, ended up stranded in a thrift store, and was rescued by my neighbor, who passed it on to me.
Why is the library basket so perfect, so superior to a tote bag?
• Its rigid sides keep books from sliding out and around in the car.
• Books can be neatly stacked, magazines don't get crushed.
• Its metal frame can support many, many pounds of books.
• It's substantial enough to have a "home" under a table in the schoolroom. Library books *belong* in it, so they tend not to wander as bad as they might.
• It's easy to see what's in the basket, whether you're looking for something to read, or checking to make sure you've got everything with you to return.
Daisy brought home some books today in the library basket. Then we read on the couch.