Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Schoolhouse Gingerbread with Chocolate

Gingerbread is a house favorite here, and we make it every week or so regardless of the season, to eat at breakfast or for dessert. Today I took my game to the next level with some melted chocolate, inspired by a picture in a cookbook. The chocolate adornment is one of those little things with a huge payoff, trust me.

•Schoolhouse Gingerbread with Chocolate•

Combine and beat until smooth:

1 c. sugar
1 c. molasses
1 c. oil
3 eggs

In another bowl mix:

3/4 t. salt
1 t. cloves
1 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda

Add to first bowl, then stir in:

1 c. boiling water.

Melt half a bag of chocolate chips in the microwave in a small bowl. Pour half the gingerbread batter in the pan, then dribble with half the chocolate. Repeat with the other half of the batter and the chocolate.

Bake in a pammed pan (I have the best success in an 8 x 12, although you could probably go bigger or smaller if you adjust the baking time) at 350 for 45 minutes. Can be fed with great success to any small group.

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

I use a 9x13 pan, and it works fine. Yes, adjust the cooking time.
For some reason the first time I made this I thought I was supposed to use an 8x8 pan. Needless to say my oven got the cleaning it needed afterwards!

Rachel said...

Oh, I love gingerbread! Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

It sounds yummy! The aroma must be heavenly. I have never baked gingerbread - I think it is time I did. Thanks for sharing.
Maria

Mrs. MK said...

Oh YUMMY!

On my "to-bake" list!!

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! I'm going to try it very, very soon. I'm always looking for that perfect Gingerbread recipe and this one sounds like it just might be it! Thanks for sharing.

Missy K said...

Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe. I baked a pan yesterday-- 9x13 and I reduced the cooking time by 5 minutes and it was perfect. My little guys gobbled it up for afterschool snack and asked for more. Delightful!

Promise Christian Academy said...

Sounds so good! I was looking for something special for tea time... I think I will try this!
Hilda Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking here for a while -- I love your beautiful blog! It feels very homey. :) I tried this recipe yesterday -- served it for dessert with friends last night and at church this evening. It was delicious! Thanks for sharing it.

Mrs. U said...

I was looking for the perfect gingerbread to make today for my family. It's a cold, rainy day and the smell of this fresh out of the oven brought immediate smiles from my children! Thank you for sharing this DELICIOUS recipe!!

His,
Mrs. U

Related Posts with Thumbnails