Friday, December 26, 2008

An Easy Thai Supper

While not the Thaiest of Thai, this simple dish is easy, inexpensive, and feeds a tableful of people. Very popular with big kids.

•Schoolhouse Thai Beef and Rice•

In a large skillet, saute:
1 lb. ground round and
1 chopped onion.

When almost done, add:
2 minced garlic cloves
red pepper flakes to taste. I use about 1/2 t.
4 carrots, thinly sliced.

Add:
2 c. jasmine rice
1 can coconut milk, regular or light
enough water, to equal 4 cups of liquid total
1/4 c. tamari sauce.

Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Serve with crushed dry-roasted peanuts, and a squeeze of lime. Cilantro, too, if you're a fan. Feeds about 8 people generously.

11 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

Sounds yummy! I have a question for you. What is ground round? How does it differ from regular ol' ground beef? Do you have to ask the butcher for it special?

t h a i t r a i t said...

Any recipe calling for coconut milk gets lots of thumbs up in this house. Thanks for sharing.

Dinah Soar said...

Tonight's supper!...though I'll be using ground turkey since I don't have ground beef/sirloin on hand.

Said it before--I love your blog. The simplicity--the elegance-- the practicality--all these appeal to me...a nice combination.

Kate in NY said...

Your recipe is currently cooking while I type, and it smells GREAT. Everyone in the house is looking forward to a spicy change of pace from the last few days of overdosing on ham, stuffing and butter cookies. Thanks!

Kate

Polly said...

I'm trying this one tonight! yum--we love thai and I'm always on the lookout for something new!

Lisa said...

I made it and everyone loved it.
Thanks for sharing.

Celeste said...

Thanks for this recipe Anna. I made it last night for our New Year's Eve supper. I made a vegetarian version using Smart Ground instead of beef. I was a little wary of the coconut milk, but it made a really tasty sauce. The whole family loved it!

Rachel in Oregon said...

This will be dinner tonight and I can't wait! Thanks for the recipe and the wonderful blog that is so encouraging and uplifting. I read it every morning nad it's a great way to start the day. Happy New Year!

Kings Kids Boutique said...

Hi!! =) I love your blog, I just found it recently!! I use cocnut oil... how do I amke or where do I buy coconut milk?? Never used it, I'd like to try this recipe!! =) Thanks bunches, and again GREAT blog!! =)
Blessings,
Charity <><

Angie said...

I made this last night and we LOVED it! Thanks for sharing!

Carrie said...

I made this for supper last night, and all my kiddos loved it! I love your blog. I have learned so much from it. Thank you for being so generous to share your life. It is obviously a very blessed one :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails