Saturday, April 25, 2009

In the Vintage Kitchen: Austrian Cream Cookies

Beat 2 eggs until light.
Blend in 1 c. sugar
and 1 c. cream.

Mix in 3 3/4 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
and 1 t. salt.

Chill for an hour.

Roll out to 3/8 inch thick on floured board, then cut into 2" squares. Use the back of a knife blade to press a tic-tac-toe design onto the top of each cookie.

Grease the baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10-13 minutes.

Frost with a dab of buttercream and garnish with strawberry slices, or a tiny lemon twist and a mint leaf, or a single perfect raspberry . . . .

(from the Betty Crocker Cooky Book 1963)

14 comments:

Lisateresa said...

This is very interesting - no shortening, no butter - the cream instead! (I assume it's heavy cream.) And it sounds so simple!
I look forward to trying these. Thank you for posting it, because I looked high and low for it but came up with nothing even remotely like this.

Martha said...

Thank you. These look yummy. Now if only mine come out as good as Bella's.

Caroline said...

Thank you for posting this; I am very anxious to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of those cookies and how I should come on here to post with the others. "Yes! Please have Bella share her recipe!" Wish so very happily granted! Thank you so much! I only hope my cookies look as lovely as Miss Bella's!

In Christ,
Dawn

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

these sound so good!

Bell said...

Thank you for sharing. I am anxious to try these! Big fat hugs to you!

Connie said...

I hope mine turn out as pretty as yours - we have a ladies tea coming up and these sound perfect. At least they look perfect in your picture!

good_to_be_home said...

Any cookie recipe with the word "cream" in the title has to be delicious!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. (o:

Leah said...

It sounds DELISH!

Joanna said...

Thanks! I made them for my family last night and they LOVED them. :)

Emily said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! :-)

Lisateresa said...

Well, I just made them tonight - how delightful! And I iced them (way too pink!) and put strawberries and blueberries on them. Even Dolly the cat was tempted! These cookies are unlike any others.

Emily said...

I finally made these! They were delicious! Thanks again for sharing the recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails