Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Swing Dress in Yellow Cotton

I'm not *actually* sewing right now, I'm doing painting in the house. Not to say I won't work on a little sewing here and there, just if I have a few minutes . . . and somehow this dress got finished. It's a very straightforward pattern and I had a rare craving for really strong yellow.


This is the 1942 Swing Dress from Sense and Sensibility. It's so comfortable on!


I've made this before, and I like to line the front midriff band by cutting out a duplicate piece and slipstitching it in place on the inside, so much tidier of a finish. I also had fun finishing most of the other seams with bias binding. A treat to myself.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore the fabric, Anna! Sense and Sensibility has the sweetest patterns.

Tessa said...

How pretty! I love the yellow. Which reminds me....I really need to get on the spring sewing for myself! Eek!

Trudy said...

I love your dress. It's beautiful. I've been wondering whether or not I should get this pattern for a few years now. It's now decided after seeing yours that it's a big "Yes!"

Rose said...

Lovely fresh colours that really suit you Anna. BTW I am enjoying Home Comfortsby Cheryl Mendelson at the moment, your influence prompted me to buy it.

Lucille said...

That is lovely on you. The fabric has a slightly Bloomsbury/ Vanessa Bell look to it.

Lisateresa said...

Yellow! I just bought some yellow floral, a lighter shade than yours, to make the Swing Dress with - I haven't made it yet. It's obvious you've made it before, because you've got it to fit so well. I'll do as you say, and line that waist piece.

barbara said...

Perfect combination of fabric and pattern and beautifully sewn ...

Anne said...

So happy! I love your photo with the flowers in the foreground.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love Jennie's patterns!

Great job as usual Anna!

Chuck Berwick said...

I'd love to know where you got the fabric. Sally

Ashley said...

Yowza! Anna, that is a dream of a dress... where on earth did you find that delicious fabric? It's like sunshine in fabric form.

Kate said...

I am so in love with that dress! Make me one in a modern size 4 or 6 or send me the pattern, please! LOL :)

The fabric is gorgeous!

I love when you post pictures of the things you've sewn, especially the vintage patterned dresses.

Patty said...

Lovely! The pattern is fantastic, so pretty and yellow :)

thecurryseven said...

It's such a beautiful dress. Getting to wear dresses again will be my consolation prize when I wean my babies.

But really what I wanted to ask was how you finished your seams with bias binding. Please share if you have a chance.

Related Posts with Thumbnails