Monday, August 29, 2011

More House Concert


Giles is home for a few days after wrapping up his summer job and squeaking out of Newark hours before the hurricane. He'll head back up shortly to set up housekeeping in his first apartment, and start working as the communications department of an urban ministry.

It was bliss having all five of them this weekend--Felix came down too, to see Giles and to enjoy our second house concert. Another acoustic folk singer-songwriter, just ineffably lovely. Sigh. Delight.

The music's not over, though--Giles and Clara on guitar and piano. Clara's understanding of music amazes me. She plays through the hymn and tells Giles the chord changes as she goes, without missing a beat, so he can accompany. And then when he gets it, she plays and sings alto. How many halves are there to her brain? It must be more than two.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh - what a blessing to have musical children! Clara certainly must have more than 2 halves in her brain to manage that - such a gift. All you need now is for Bella to sing and the Composer to compose... then it will be complete.

Lilian

Paulene said...

Anna - you are blessed!

Paulene

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

It must be beautiful to just sit and listen. You should be proud as well.

Saminda said...

Ah Anna, I can't imagine the joy and peace in your heart at the sound of your children making music together. :) I truly hope it's something I see in my home when my littlies are older!

Lisa said...

A lovely post.

Lisateresa

Peter Jones said...

LOVELY post. How wonderful. :)

Eileen said...

Isn't it lovely to hear their music? I have 2 daughters who play violin with the oldest also playing trombone and the youngest getting ready to start trombone in band this year. I have to say that the kids involved in music seem to be some of the happiest ones in the school!

Cynthia said...

I just love hearing about your children!

Anonymous said...

Clara's hairdo is pretty too.

Leah H said...

Aww that's wonderful that you had all the kids home! Clara is so lovely. I wish that I would have had the poise and confidence that she seems to have, when I was that age. I also was a tall young lady (5'11") and did not accept it as gracefully as she does.

Shelley said...

It is amazing to watch someone who can musically multi-task, isn't it? I can't even see me doing the play and sing thing at the same time, never mind all those things you listed. Music is clearly a priority in your house. My mom was keen for me to have the opportunity, sent me to piano lessons, even bought an old upright for me to practice on. Sadly, I didn't keep it up. I have a hunch your children will keep it up.

Amy said...

Wow, that's impressive, Clara! I can only call out chord changes if I'm playing the chords themselves. I couldn't do it if I was playing melody or reading music.

Farrah said...

Can you record and post sometime of their singing?

Related Posts with Thumbnails