Tuesday, January 08, 2013

A Casual Fitted Dress for Clara: S&S 1958 Party Dress


Made up in a midweight cotton twill, the Sense and Sensibility 1958 Party Dress is a perfect blend of comfort and fit. Somehow the kimono sleeve cut allows for the bodice to be both quite trim and very comfortable. The holy grail of vintage dress sewing!


All done with just two darts in front and two in back!


Again this time I finished the neck and sleeve edges with piping. But this bias binding came from La Droguerie in Paris! One of a thousand gorgeous printed, silky cotton choices--paralyzed with too many options, I only brought home two. This one is almost Japanesey with the little cherry blossom reference. 

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Just lovely!

Lisateresa

kath said...

I think that might just be the perfect dress pattern. It look comfortable, timelessly stylish and sounds like it's not too difficult to make. It looks gorgeous on Clara too!

Laura said...

So pretty! Clara has the elegance to make any dress look lovely. Seeing your versions makes me want to try out this pattern for myself.

Erin said...

You have such a knack for choosing silhouettes that I would never consider. But they turn out so lovely that I must start expanding my options! I'd say two lengths of piping from Paris are worth a hundred from the craft store any day!

TheTayloress said...

...The epitome of classic femininity!

Gail said...

It looks like the neckline on Clara's dress is not as wide as in the pattern. Did you change it, or is it according to pattern? I like the way Clara's dress fits her much more than the pictures I see on the S&S site, but I don't have the confidence to change the pattern myself.

McKee Family said...

Lovely! =) You are making me want to buy this dress pattern...do you have tips on printing and assembling the pattern? I've not had very good luck so far with other "print your own" patterns that have come into my life!
~Adrienne

Tonya said...

beautiful.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Clara looks beautiful in this beautiful dress.Love the bias binding around the neck..

Jodes said...

Mckee Family, if you don't want the print at home version, they sell it printed as well - just trace off and use! Much easier than sticking it all together - which I've not had any luck with either.

Jodes said...

I must also say, every time you post this dress, I feel more inspired to make it up! Gorgeous as always :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails