Monday, January 14, 2013

Ornamental Cabbage Afghan, Finished


Well, I really loved crocheting this mighty big blanket. It ended up six feet square and then it just felt too big to keep dragging around in my lap, even though I had a few skeins of yarn left I could have used.


I have plans for those--I'm practicing my pattern-reading skills on them. In the meantime I'm enjoying this massive granny square here and there--the bed, the couch, the chair by the fire.


I did a simple granny square with the exception that every fourth row was made from two rows of single crochet. I felt like it stabilized things and kept them from wiggling quite so much. It made surprisingly interesting patterns out of my randomly-chosen stripes.


13 comments:

Unknown said...

absolutely stunning work!

Susana Neiger said...

This is gorgeous. Makes me want to crochet a huge granny square. Thanks for the inspiration!

rbjaneite said...

It's lovely Anna! And so nice and big to snuggle under. I'm interested in what kind of yarn you used - is it wool or acrylic or a blend?

The colour selection is lovely and reminds me of some of Kaffe Fasset's tapestries.

Anna said...

It's all wool, mostly superwash merino.

Thanks!

jodi said...

The stabilizing is a great idea.

Lisa said...

Very pretty, and a perfect name for it.

Lisateresa

Anonymous said...

I've seen similar granny afghans before, but your version is the loveliest one! The colors are gorgeous. I wish I had your color sense.

Once you've worked with wool, there's no going back to synthetic yarns, is there?

Dee/NY

Cindy said...

Good idea to add the single crochet rows. It is very beautiful!

Friedas Farmhouse said...

Beautiful!! Love the colors!! Looks perfect to be under with a cup of something warm & a good book!

Gillian said...

Oh, the colours are lovely! I like your idea to stabilize the blanket - I may have to try that on my next one :)

April said...

I do about the same thing!! I have one large one I am working on now, in blue and green, and 2 smaller versions for baby blankets....

Anonymous said...

Wow...beautiful, it really is, Anna. And not just the colors, but your stitching itself. So nice & even.

Brenda

Melissa said...

Your afghan is beautiful and I am so going to steal your every fourth row of SC idea. It looks like it adds some warmth too along with making it more sturdy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails