Wednesday, July 23, 2014

"Obedience Isn't for Us"

"Our stories affect one another whether we know it or not. Sometimes obedience isn't for us at all, but for another. We don't know how God holds the kingdom in balance or why He moves a chess piece at a crucial time; we might never see the results of his sovereignty. But we can trust Him when He says press on, cling to hope, stay the course. He is always at work, even if the entire thread is hidden . . . .
The story of God's people comprises a billion little moments when an average believer pressed on, carried through, stepped up. In the quantity of ordinary obedience, the kingdom truly advances. "
--Jen Hatmaker, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess  (2012)

7 comments:

Tracy said...

"7" and "Interrupted" were two of my summer reads. Not relaxing at all, in a good way. It's all Jen's fault that I'm on a journey of being 'ruined', myself!!!!! I love her style though. Humour makes everything a little less...overwhelming.

Rose said...

Anna I googled the author's name, her blog is extraordinary, thank you.

Jessica said...

Love this

Julian said...

I loved this book!
Christina

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

I had not heard of her either, so I "Googled" her...oh my, my time was spent reading her blog. (Other books along the same line are "Almost Amish" and "Hands Free Mama"). I will get her book from the Library. Then another interesting thing is, they will have a show on HGTV about their renovated farmhouse. That makes 2 Christian families from Texas with home renovations on TV. While we don't watch a lot of tv, that is good news!

CarlaM said...

Anna, thank you! I so needed to read this today. I never comment, but I read your blog almost every day. Thank you so much!

Marlaine said...

She has quite the way of speaking truth. This book was a January read for me. Then I checked it out again and re-read it in February; a lot to chew on, in a good way. And her blog is worth the read.

Related Posts with Thumbnails