Thursday, May 28, 2015

Blue-Gray Facets: An Alabama Chanin Jacket


I was happy today to finish this jacket which required many stitches. I used the Alabama Chanin bolero pattern in an extended version  that's more jacket and less bolero.


I made two layers. The outer one I stenciled using the "Facets" stencil--and let me tell you, cutting that thing out is a project in and of itself. 


Then I stitched around each shape using one strand of button and craft thread. Then I cut around each shape.


Then I added strategic beads and sequins. They helped the shapes to read as organized rosettes or stylized flowers.


Then I constructed the garment and bound the edge.


I'm wearing it over a six-gore dress that's been pumped up with four godets to add fullness to the skirt. Two in the front, two in the back.


All done, at last.

10 comments:

Polly said...

This technique with this stencil looks so textural! Much more so, I think, than reverse applique would. I like it!

I am a lover of the godet. Just added a few to a dress recently to give it more swish. Love the result.

Sigh! I love it all.

Anonymous said...

i wonder if you send pics of your amazing alabama chanin creations to the kind people who keep that wonderful store. you should. just beautiful. a work of art, actually! :-)

Lynn said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning! Your Alabama Chanin garments are so lovely.

Georgie Gerl said...

Anna, it is lovely - a real work of art. It must be lovely to wear 😊

Wendi said...

I love it! I have that same color fabric lined up to make the new A Line dress (to wear with the grey wrap cardigan you're making for me:)
That's a depressing story... I bought cheap knit fabric from Joann's to test the fit on the a-line dress. I didn't want to waste my expensive AC fabric. Well, the Joann's fabric was so thin, I had to go buy more to double it up (don't like wearinfpg slips if I can help it.)
Now I've spent just as much on a dress that's half polyester. Yuck.
A facets skirt kit was the first AC project I ever made. It wasn't painted very well, so I thought it was daisies, and sewed it that way.

the momma said...

gorgeous! Just gorgeous!

Lisa said...

Wow - such intricacy! And the godets are such a good idea.

Lisateresa

Carol said...

Anna: This is exquisite. (MD)

seashoreknits said...

Another AC work of art!
Just lovely Anna!
Well done!

kath said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails