Tuesday, June 16, 2015

"Leaning on Each Other"

"Contemporary culture encourages us to make islands of ourselves for the sake of self-fulfillment, of career advancement, of entertainment, of diversion, and all the demands of the sovereign self. When suffering and death come for you--and it will--you want to be in a place where you know, and are known. You want--no, you need--to be able to say . . . 'We're leaning, but we're leaning on each other.'"
--Rod Dreher, The Little Way of Ruthie Leming 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How true! Christina

Farrah said...

That's very true! Thanks for sharing!

Margo said...

I just read this book last month! Parts of it were very moving.

Gail said...

I've been thinking of this idea lately. I don't love the city (or state) we live in, and was actively thinking of moving. But do I really want to move to someplace new where no one knows us? Will we have time to form a support network before catastrophe strikes? Or should I get over myself and be satisfied with this location, and be thankful for friends I can count on if necessary? For now, we'll stay.

Related Posts with Thumbnails