Tuesday, October 13, 2015

That Birthday Dinner


Most years we prepare a birthday feast for the Composer's dad. This year I cooked straight through the recipes for Nigella Lawson's Georgian Feast* (in the aptly named cookbook Feast).


The foods were unusual but still accessible and we all loved the menu--from the melon with hot pepper relish to the mountain of stuffed cheese bread, the stuffed chickens, the pungent beet puree, and the green beans in herbed yogurt.


Not being a chocolate man, Grandpa appreciated the walnut cookies, grapes, and homemade vanilla ice cream at the end, too.

Then we all played cards, and Daisy won!

*That's the Georgia that's in Europe, not the one with peach cobbler. 

11 comments:

Natacha said...

Lucky dad!

Margo said...

oh LOVELY. I must check this out. It's a little hobby of mine to find recipes that are unusual and yet accessible for my extended family. I made Indonesian gado gado for them at the beach one year and it was a notable hit.

Unknown said...

So adventurous! I really like nigella. Wonderful gift!
Christina

WaresbyCherry said...

That sounds lovely! But I'd love to see pictures of the food.

Farrah said...

I am glad that you have continued this tradition. Nigella is queen! Have you ordered her new book? I would love to know what y'all think of the recipes.

Josephine's Girl said...

Now, I thought Georgian meant late 18th century! Hope that gives you a laugh!

Lisa said...

You know we all enjoy hearing about That Birthday Dinner. Sounds delicious, as usual!

Lisateresa

jenny_o said...

Your table settings, whether for a family meal or for a shower, fascinate me. They are elegant, achievable, beautiful. Love the bouquet. The meal sounds wonderful. (Also sounds like a lot of work!)

KathleenS said...

Similar to Josephine's Girl, my interpretation of "Georgian" was 18th century, Jane Austen kind of time! Wouldn't that be fun too?!

Rose said...

"Not being a chocolate man ...." I guess there must be some. :) So good to hear that The Composer's Dad enjoyed this annual PVS event again. And I see the Composer is still producing elegant looking menus.

Rebecca said...

I thought by Georgian you meant the period, as in pre-Regency!

Related Posts with Thumbnails