Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Vintage Forties Shirtwaist: Butterick 4086

I have been wanting to make a classic tailored shirtwaist, and decided on this pattern. My girls were really thinking the long pointy umbrella would take the outfit up a notch, but I've been making do without in this sunny weather.


When I was at the Creative Needle fabric shop in Denver this summer, I splurged (with some guilt) on several dress lengths of really premium cotton. I used one for this dress, and I have to say, the guilt is gone. It is such a pleasure to sew with, drapes so beautifully, and feels as weightless as silk when it's on.


I went with a fabric-covered belt and a jeweled buckle to add a little glamour. I like to wear the buckle over next to my hip rather than in the center.


These red buttons are vintage. My stepmother gave them to me and she dates them to the forties, I think.


The pattern went together really well but was a little large. I'd like to try it again in a smaller size. I love it!

11 comments:

Tracy said...

It is beautiful! I am considering making a forties dress too... I am further inspired after seeing you dress:)

DonnaB said...

How pretty!

Elisabeth Black said...

I love being convinced to pay more for quality.

Sweet Woodruff said...

I love it and I covet. Hey! I rhymed! :) I never go cheap on fabric. I always regret it if I do. I like high quality on the clearance table...that's my taste. :)

PS: I'm glad you're back. I missed your blog while you were gone.

Blessings!

Laura said...

The fabric sounds great. The dress is beautiful, too. Well done!

Mrs. MK said...

It's so good to hear that quality fabric is worth the price and eventually outweighs the guilt!!

Lovely dress!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Is this Liberty fabric?

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog (courtesy of Michelle at Vanilla Icing), have already added you as a favorite and will spend days catching up by reading your archives! I love the dress you made. The pattern reminds me of a favorite I saw on a girl in the movie How To Make An American Quilt and I've loved it ever since. I can't believe you made almost the same dress (different fabric)and it looks like it has a more flattering line.

Promise Christian Academy said...

Beautiful blog... I believe a passed by when I started blogging a few months ago. Must be nice to be able to size down! I have several vintage patterns.. but am afraid I will have to size up to have them fit. Becoming a grandmother and passing 30 has done double duty on me! Really, I know it was more lack of exercise, but..... :0)
Love your beautiful photos. What is the mark on them? Is that from your camera or photoshop or what? Excuse my ignorance and questioning, please!
Hilda Rebecca

Anna said...

My son Giles does all this photography, and he puts the gphotos watermark on them--I don't know how!

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

Your style is fantastic, Anna - I'm absolutely enamored with all of your creations!

Related Posts with Thumbnails