Monday, May 02, 2011

A Jersey Cardigan with Some Alabama Style


And then it occurred to me that I could use Alabama Studio techniques on a commercial sewing pattern designed for jersey. Simplicity 2206 is a simple kimono-sleeve cardigan with very few pieces. I ran up the seams on the machine, then picked out some to fell by hand with a running stitch.

I just love handwork on jersey. It is such a comfortable way to sew, and so beautiful.


Not sure about the fit through the shoulders for Bella, though. I think maybe a size up next time.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Very nice - you're tempting me to try it.

Lisateresa

Sonja said...

I'm loving the projects you are doing from this book. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

You're not using regular thread on that, are you? Is it quilting thread, embroidery floss?

Lisateresa

Shelley said...

Good shoulders are a blessing!

Anna said...

Lisa, the hand-sewing is done in Button & Craft thread. I think any stronger than normal thread would work.

seashoreknits said...

I too am loving the techniques you are using and sharing from Alabama Chanin. This cardigan is fantastic! Thank you so much for the reference.

the momma said...

pretty!! You've just about convinced me to buy the book and you really must tell us where you are buying all this fabulous jersey! (please? ;-)

Jessica said...

I am making that book NEXT on my list. I just love the modest but so simple clothes you have put together.

Rebecca said...

What does "to fell" mean? In regards to the seams, I mean.

Anna said...

To fell seams is to take the seam allowance and press it open, or with both seam allowances to one side, and then stitch them down. Jeans usually have felled seams. So do men's shirts. You can see that some seams have visible lines of stitching close to, and parallel to, the seam.

Sarah said...

Your posts are definitely making me rethink jersey and how I can make ordinary patterns much more unique and attractive. Looking up the book ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails