75 is a big birthday, and we celebrated with the Composer's father this weekend. Five years ago we went this route, but on this occasion we were much smaller--just three very special surprise guests (including Giles, and that surprise was also on me!), and a lovely Southern dinner.
• Yellow squash puff pastries
• Romaine and red leaf lettuce with blackberries and candied black walnuts
• Beef tenderloin (oh my, my first ever and it was GOOD)
• Turnip greens, mustard greens, and collard greens
• Scalloped potatoes
• Buttermilk biscuits
• Deep-dish apple pie
• Homemade vanilla ice cream
So I totally didn't know that Giles was coming home on Friday night for Grandpa's birthday, but the sneaky girls did and they had insisted on making the pie themselves so they could keep it dairy-free. I'll never trust them again!
Maybe I say this every year at this time, but wow, what a privilege to be able to honor such a wonderful man. May there be many happy returns.