Tuesday, December 10, 2013

An Assortment of Gluten-Free Goodies for Christmas


Much of the fun of preparing for Christmas is filling too many tins with goodies to stash away in the freezer, and bring out on fancy trays on Christmas Eve. I like a wide variety, myself, and have to provide gluten-free treats as well as the traditional favorites. If you want to put together a dessert trolley of GF goodies, and prefer not to bake with odd ingredients or anything that starts with an X, here are some suggestions:

Ricciarelli--these are beautifully-textured almond cookies 

Chocolate truffles--holiday classics, great from the freezer

Creamy rice pudding--serve in small portions in stemmed fruit glasses, with kiwi and strawberry slices

Coconut macaroons--so easy, and they freeze really well

Chocolate hazelnut meringues--in case the truffles weren't enough.

9 comments:

Rose said...

I can vouch for the chocolate meringues, I made them a couple of years ago and they were a hit.

Julie said...

Thanks for the suggestions. We have a couple of GF members in the household (along with a couple with various food allergies).

Sara said...

They look wonderful! Thanks for the suggestions. The almond cookies have flour---do you just leave that out or replace it with something else?

kath said...

Thank you for the recipes! I'm always on the lookout for GF recipes for entertaining my husband's family with all of their special diets and dietary needs. The recipes look wonderful - and easy!

Anna said...

Sara, thanks for pointing out the flour. I actually bake mine from Nigella Lawson's How to Be a Domestic Goddess cookbook, which doesn't use flour. I changed the link to a different recipe which is GF.

Anonymous said...

How would you make the rice pudding dairy free as well? Already gluten free house due coeliac children but now embarking on dairy free due to allergies. Feeling overwhelmed :-/

Anna said...

You could easily substitute coconut milk or almond milk for the milk. I'm sure there are recipes abounding online, it seems like a doable switch!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for these! Both my sister and I have gluten intolerance and she also can't tolerate anything with cow's milk.

Polly said...

This is a good list! I am looking forward to trying the chocolate truffles and the meringues.

I must say, though, that xanthum gum is a little miracle powder! My babies can eat delicious chocolate chip cookies because of it! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails