Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Two Constants

 


I've always found limits to be creatively helpful--I just think it's easier, when setting out on a creative project, to have fewer options than INFINITY to choose from :). So in my writing I prefer poetic forms--and right now, in my painting, I almost always plunk my flowers down (in real life) in the same milk glass vase. Turns out, there are still infinite ways to paint that vase.

Same with background color. I bought a very large tube of Pthalo Green (because it was on clearance!) at a Dick Blick store a year and a half ago, and ever since it's been my go-to background. It's a great complement for red, orange, or pink flowers, and by adding varying quantities of green, blue, yellow, red, or white, I can move it in a bunch of directions. Not saying I don't occasionally bust out an occasional white or pink background, but generally I rely for the moment on this favorite. 

3 comments:

Christie Purifoy said...

Beautiful painting. And how lovely to see you in my blog feed again.

Katie said...

Imagine my surprise to click through from a very old housekeeping bookmark I had saved to see that the newest post here was tagged November 2023. I had to blink a few times to believe it! So beautiful to hear from you again--I started reading your blog as a teenager and am now well into adulthood. Rarely a day passes when I don't think of some tidbit I learned from you. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Polly said...

I love the green background with the warmer flowers. It’s a beautiful combination!

Related Posts with Thumbnails