Friday, December 22, 2023

Shepherd's Pie

 In the run-up to Christmas I'm finding myself uninspired when it comes time to cook dinner. A: there's just so much else to do and B:  I just cleaned up from baking! Fortunately Clara took the helm yesterday and made us an absolutely luscious Shepherd's Pie, the thing we didn't know we needed.

 Inspired by a pound of ground lamb on sale at the store, she browned it in a big skillet with a package of frozen mirepoix (my best friend: chopped onion, celery, and carrot), a clove of garlic, and a box of sliced mushrooms. When the meat was browned she added 1 T. gluten-free flour (use anything) to brown in with the goodies, then added a scant cup of stock. A little thyme and fresh nutmeg, salt and pepper, and it was ready to be covered with a luscious blanket of mashed potatoes she had going on the other burner. That went into the oven at 400 with some butter dotted on the top, and baked until it was bubbling around the edges and was deliciously slightly brown.



4 comments:

Melissa said...

Completely relate to this! And so thankful for helpful daughters - mine is cooking a pasta dish for us tonight, and I'm very grateful. Merry Christmas to you all!

Kirstin said...

We also had a shepherd's pie on Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I can’t believe you’re back!! You don’t know how much I enjoyed and missed your posts and your pictures!! I was just telling my daughter about your blog today and she looked you up and, “Voila!,” there you were! I’ve prayed for you over the years and even, somehow - I don’t know how, figured out what law firm you worked for and called to inquire if you were alright and even left a message for you!! Thankful you’re back.

Kara in TX said...

Anna, I’m so glad you’re back and doing well. So many of your recipes are now long-standing family and community favorites here, it’s wonderful to see them and your creative endeavors on the blog again. Our family converted to Catholicism in 2011, and it has been a source of consolation and joy.

Peace to you and yours,
Kara

Related Posts with Thumbnails