Thursday, November 17, 2005

Fruitcake, Actually

Today I began on the Marzipan-Dried Fruit Cakes I'm making for Christmas gifts (thanks Nigella Lawson for the recipe, which I use with some changes). I chopped the marzipan and put it in the freezer, and chopped cups and cups of golden raisins, dried cranberries, and dried pears to soak overnight in brandy. I've not been able to find dried pears at the store, so I just bought some fresh, sliced thinly, and spread on foil-covered cookie sheets and left in a 250-degree oven for a couple of hours. I did turn them over halfway through, and they came out just right (and cheap).

This is the best cake, and also includes lemon zest and ground almonds. It seems a shame to call it a fruitcake; on the other hand, if people avoid it, that means more for me!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails