Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Keeping Up with the Ironing

Some people hate ironing and would do anything to avoid it, up to and including wearing polyester shirts. I am not one of those. I find ironing to be one of the most rewarding of domestic tasks. You start with a pile of wrinkled things and end with a rack of smooth, crisp shirts and a stack of lovely folded pillowcases. At least I do: I iron the Composer's button-down shirts, dresses for the girls and myself, and the pillowcases, which at my house are all cotton or linen. I even iron the Sunday napkins when I can get in ahead of Clara.

Although I love to iron, I do not do it perfectly, sprinkling and rolling clothes in time-honored fashion. (See Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelsohn for details and instructions). I use the shortcut my mother raised me with--the spray bottle of water used at the time of ironing. I have known people who sprinkle and roll before they iron, and believe me when I say that their ironing piles were much, much bigger than mine have ever been.

2 comments:

Oberon said...

........yes God is good......and so are you.

Lucy said...

Oh, I really can't take Home Comforts for more than a page or two. Her didactic tone and the way that an unexperienced housekeeper would think one "should" do it all the way Cheryl suggest put me off.

But yes, I love ironing too. I thought American ladies didn't iron! It all seems to be about folding laundry...I iron less than I used to now we have our son: once I even ironed undies and dishcloths. Now I just iron pillowcases, shirts, tops, skirts, trousers, dresses, table linen and if I have time I will spend time on the sheets. I just use a steam iron, and the spray function on the iron if the washing is very dry - but I think the secret is in ironing before the clothes ever properly dry out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails