Thursday, October 25, 2007

Three Lovely Sewing Books

I have been adding to my library of sewing books--there is so much beautiful inspiration out there! Here are some I have really enjoyed recently, and can recommend either *as* gifts, or for *making* gifts, take your choice.

Last Minute Fabric Gifts by Cynthia Treen. I'm latching on to her designs for cosy wool hats made from thrifted and felted sweaters--I'm itching to get started on these, no pun intended.



Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. I especially adore the fabric birds pictured on the cover, and plan to make several for my Christmas tree. I also love her idea of "machine-tying" a quilt by machine-embroidering an ovals in each square of the quilt.



Simple Gifts to Stitch by Jocelyn Worrall. Elegant indeed! She uses a variety of fabric, from silk to vinyl, and has some interesting new structural ideas I've not seen before.



Riches!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I have "Last-Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts" on my nightstand next to me. It is full of so many great ideas that I can't even decide which one to make first! The author has "Last-Minute Knitted Gifts" too, which also looks good.

Suzanne said...

Great sewing minds think alike..I have all the books too...LOL! I am no expert seamstress by any stretch but alot of the projects are fairly straight forward. Can't wait to see what you make first, I just can't decide:-)

Family W said...

A couple of weeks ago I brought home Last Minute Knitted Gifts from the library and am seriously thinking about buying a copy. I didn't know she authored Patchwork and Quilted Gifts too.... thanks for the recommendations!

Dove Knits said...

I've seen so many great things from Last-Minute Quilted Gifts that I want it even though I am just now learning about quilting (not even learning TO quilt, although that'll change soon). I can't wait to see what you make!

Saralyn said...

Ok, you must have been lurking in my house! These books (along with many others) are scattered all over my bedroom floor as I try to figure out what I'm sewing for Christmas gifts.

Amy said...

I got the 'Last Minute Fabric Gifts' from the library and love it! The little bunny+playmat are adorable!

Alicia said...

Thank you for recommending these books. I was able to get the first one through our library and have really enjoyed it. Such fun ideas and good timing with Christmas on the way!

Anonymous said...

I made the felted sweater hats and posted them just today on my blog. It was a great project, so easy! I have also made several other of Treen's projects and was happy with all of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails