Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Ribbing Rose


I bought a sweater at the thrift store, then hacked it up to make a bed jacket. In my deconstruction, I cut off the sweater's ribbed waistband. Who knew you could roll it right up into a rose?

First I ran a gathering stitch at the cut edge of the ribbing. I could also have zigzagged the edge to make it more secure from unravelling, but I didn't. Then I pulled up my gathers before rolling the strip into a rose shape. I hand-stitched the bottom of the rose together, then cut out a wool felt circle and sewed it on over the raw edges. Then sewed on leaves, then a pin clasp. Ready to wear as a corsage for those days when there's nothing to cut in the garden!

10 comments:

Amelia said...

Oh! What a wonderful idea - very creative! Looks just beautiful too!

Nadine said...

Very pretty - I like the color combination. I did something similar with felt to top a tea cozy that I made for my Mom for Mother's Day!

Lissa said...

Apple Green and Sky Blue are a beautiful color combo... what a great idea! Constructed flowers are all the rage right now, too.

Lisateresa said...

Anna - what an idea! I just redid a thrifted sweater the other day (a la Anna). It had nice wide ribbing at the sleeve ends. The next day I suddenly thought I could have done something with it, but the trash was gone already.
However, I'm sure a flower would not have occurred to me Good for you!

Sharon said...

What a great idea Anna! Thanks for your creative inspiration :)

Sarah said...

Very nifty, I want to make felted roses ~ I saw a pattern at the store, but it looked easy, just a bunch of hearts in graduated sizes.

Lady Farmer said...

I am anxious to see the bedjacket! One of your bedjackets (a couple of years ago)is what started me reading blogs and eventually starting one of my own.
Please show it to us when it is finished!
Blessings!

Kimmie said...

Wow, you certainly are thinking outside the box. It came out lovely. Enjoy your corsage!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Lisateresa said...

Lady Farmer - Anna sold a lovely green bed jacket, and I bought it! I love it! here:http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=15944261

gracelaced said...

This is a great recycling project! How cute the corsage would be on a handmade purse. Must try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails