Thursday, December 02, 2010

Colette Patterns: The Cinnamon Slipdress


So far, my favorite Colette pattern of all! It went together in an absolute flash, because it has no lining, no facings, and not even any bindings. How's that for easy?

On the other hand, it's not really a wear-alone garment. It makes up into a beautiful slip or nightie.


My version is in flannel, and it's for bedtime. Isn't it fun, with the great fit and the tiny double straps that act to cinch up the fullness of the bust? I'm ignoring the fact that I didn't do any fitting until the project was finished--and then had to sew a dart across the midriff to take it in. I'll catch that next time, indeed. I've already made the notes on the paper pattern.


Because it's cut on the bias, it takes up very little fabric. And also, the bias drape allows you to make this gorgeous lettuce-ruffled effect at the bottom hem. Just pull back slightly on the fabric as you feed it under the foot. Instead of a plain narrow hem, I used one of my machine embroidery satin stitches, in white, to add some weight and improve the drape.


Colette is selling this as an intermediate pattern, but I say, any beginner can handle this one!

3 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Great nightgown...wouldn't that be amazing in satin?

I do love the polka dot flannel though!

Lisa said...

Flannel on the bias - there are some things I just wouldn't think of! A cute design.

Lisateresa

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That is divine!

Related Posts with Thumbnails