Thursday, July 24, 2014

Sweet Fridge Pickles


This dishpan contains Daisy's very own, no-help-from-anyone-except-Mommy-sliced-the-onion, batch of fridge pickles. She made a gallon, using my grandmother's recipe.

• Sweet Fridge Pickles •

Slice 3 quarts cucumbers, leaving the peels on but removing the seeds if they are big and ungainly. 
Thinly slice 3 onions (or fewer), and add to the cukes.
Sprinkle with 2 T. salt, and let sit for two hours.

Drain in a colander, then pour over them 1 1/2 cups of vinegar (we used cider, but you can go fancy), and 3 cups of sugar.

Cover them (we keep them in a giant jar) and refrigerate indefinitely.

5 comments:

Polly said...

This is timely! I just helped a friend chop up come cucumber tonight for her mom's 3-day-long pickle-making extravaganza, and decided I needed to do something with my cucumbers...but I'm not doing the extravaganza. I was searching for 'freezer pickles' earlier in the evening. Thanks for the recipe!

And good job, Daisy!

Rain said...

Thanks for the simple recipe. My kids love sweet pickles and I have a lot of cucumber but I didn't want it too complicated.

Wendi said...

My grandmother used to make one meal's worth of these at a time. I'm so delighted to know that they will keep in the fridge for a while. I love them!

Anonymous said...

Blessed by friends with a boatload of cukes. (love august!) We ate gyros and tzatziki the first night and didn't even make a dent ... and then I remembered Daisy's Pickles! thank you for posting this...

Dmeyers

Anonymous said...

and may I say... Daisy's pickles are SO good. I cut the sugar back just a 1/2 cup. Doubt we will have any left by September. Thank you!

Dmeyers

Related Posts with Thumbnails