Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Real Vintage Patterns



I have taken the plunge and ordered two charming dress patterns that are really, truly vintage! The one on the left is a great forties' dress (love the bodice gathering up into the shoulder yoke in front!), and the one on the right is a "beginner's side-fastening frock" from the thirties (which is a close approximation of my dream garment, so far found only in the Sears' Catalog Everyday Clothes of the Thirties book, the Hooverette dress, a wraparound cotton garment with frilled organdy trim!!!). Both of these are available at the Vintage Pattern Lending Library website, a resource with treasures abundant though not well-organized. I have been cruising around looking at vintage sewing patterns both original and facsimilated, and these are pretty good prices--and the patterns are complete.

It's hard to find vintage patterns with larger bust sizes so I was thrilled to find several to choose from. The ladies in the old days were slim and elegant indeed.

2 comments:

Magistra Mommy said...

Lovely, lovely! :o)

I would love to get my hands on these patterns, too, although I think I may have the same problem as you described. I love Mrs. Chancey's patterns on S&S because they have been adapted for modern figures. :o)

Best wishes as you seek out the perfect fabric!

In His joy,
Mrs. Wilt

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hope you will share the results when you're done! Coincidentally, I was just looking at that '30s pattern on the VPLL website. I love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails