Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Vintage Layette Bag: McCall 1098

Who could resist these illustrations? I've been strangely fascinated by the diaper bag ever since I bought the pattern a couple of years ago.

It wasn't complicated, but it wasn't usual either. Long vertical pockets on opposite outsides of the bag, I guess for baby bottles. Similar pockets inside the bag, on the unused sides. The buttons crack me up. I don't think they're to keep things from falling out, I think the flap buttons up over the bottle to keep the nipple clean.


And really, no carrying strap. The drawstrings only cinch out a few inches. But it's darling! I want to put art supplies in it.

I made it up in some thrifted decorating-weight fabric that seemed old. The selvages were printed with the words "Happily Married." I love that!

10 comments:

Donna said...

Pretty! I think I have a similar layette pattern somewhere. I love the little jacket and bonnet set.

I wonder if the bag is for storing bottles at home rather than carrying them places? I remember a contraption for sterilizing bottles, maybe the bag was supposed to keep them sterile?

Farrah said...

I adore your vintage patterns! That will make a lovely art supplies bag.

Anonymous said...

I *LOVE* that diaper bag...and I *KNOW* diaper bags!

Elisabeth Black said...

Hyperventilating a little bit over that pattern.

Lisateresa said...

I like that fabric.

Sharon said...

How sweet is that? You always find and make the most darling things Anna :) I would have been sold on that fabric for what it says too. Sigh :)

Jodes said...

That is adorable! I love vintage baby patterns!

Martha said...

That has always been one of my favorite vintage layette patterns. Love it and love your bag.

Grace said...

Dying to see the little bitty baby things made up, as well! Would LOVE to find an old baby pattern like that myself. Where on earth do you find all your vintage patterns???

Hopewell said...

I love the long coat! We've got a March baby coming in my extended family. Might entice Grandma to make it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails